Ecole Centrale de Lyon
Université de Lyon
36 avenue Guy de Collongue
69134 Ecully cedex
+33 (0) 472 18 61 18
My current research project is determining the relative contributions of different microbial communities to nitrogen cycling in soil (see COMICONS project). Following on from my PhD work, I am also very interested in the ecology of soil viruses and their impact on biogeochemical cycling. I utilize culturing, stable isotope probing and metagenomics (& viromics) to target specific microbial groups and uncover virus-host interactions in soil.
- 2020 – current. Postdoc, Ecole Central de Lyon
- 2020. Ph.D. in Microbial Ecology, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France. Thesis: Virus-host interactions across a soil pH gradient at the community and individual scale.
- 2016. M.S in ecosciences and microbiology, Université de Lyon, France. Thesis: Effects of cropping systems and nitrogen fertilization on microbial diversity.
- 2014. B.S in Biology organisms and population, Université de Lyon, France
- Lee S, Sorensen JW, Walker RL, Emerson JB, Nicol GW, Hazard C. 2022. Soil pH influences the structure of virus communities at local and global scales. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 166: 108569. doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2022.108569
- Lee S, Sieradzki ET, Nicolas AM, Walker RL, Firestone MK, Hazard C, Nicol GW. 2021. Methane-derived carbon flow into host-virus networks at different trophic levels in soil. PNAS 118:e2105124118 doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2105124118
- Finn DR, Lee S, Lanzén A, Bertrand M, Nicol GW, Hazard C. 2021. Cropping systems impact changes in soil fungal, but not prokaryote, alpha-diversity and community composition stability over a growing season in a long-term field trial. FEMS Microbiology Ecology doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiab136
- S Lee, C Hazard, G Nicol. Active host-virus interactions associated with nitrifying populations in soil. 7th International Conference on Nitrification. 2021. (Poster)
- S Lee, C Hazard, G Nicol. Flux de carbone dérivé du méthane à travers les réseaux trophiques hôte-virus. Société Française de Virologie. Lyon, France. 2021. (Poster)
- S Lee, E Sieradzki, A Nicolas, M Firestone, C Hazard, G Nicol. Methane-derived carbon flow through host-virus trophic networks in soil. AGU Fall Meeting. 2020. (Oral)
- S Lee, C Hazard, G Nicol. Stable-isotope probing and metagenomic analysis demonstrates individual host-virus interactions in soil methanotroph communities. 4th Thünen Symposium on Soil Metagenomics. Braunschweig, Germany. 2019. (Oral)
- S Lee, C Hazard, G Nicol. Uncovering virus-bacterial host interactions across ecological gradients in soil. BAGECO 15. Lisbon, Portugal. 2019. (Poster)
- S Lee, S. Cecillon, M. Bertrand, G Nicol, C Hazard. Do alternative agricultural cropping systems promote soil microbial diversity? ISME 16. Montreal, Canada. 2016. (Poster)
- ICME10 – International Course in Microbial Ecology: Hands-on training in Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic metagenomics. University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy. 2019.
- Ecogenomics of microbes. University of Alicante, Alicante, Spain. 2017.